Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Home Again For the First Time

Thursday 9/6/12

A few days ago Ken had gotten a call from the friend who was checking on the house. He had found some water in the garage and determined that the water heater was leaking. Ken was able to tell him where the shut off valves, circuit breaker, and drain hose were and Lenny is a handy person so a potential disaster was averted. Since the problem was taken care of, it shouldn’t have made any difference; but, it niggled at us. That, plus I (we?) was getting tired of being on the road. Extended travel from hotel to hotel is sure different than living in an RV.
So we’re heading back home. And for me, it’s the first time. Yes, I lived in that house last spring, but it really felt more like a long visit. Now the car’s trunk is filled with things I considered my core essentials – the items I felt defined me and mine. These will now go in the house and help make it feel like I belong there.

Sept 6, 2012: Not the hotel we stayed in. It was just across the street in West Yellowstone & Ken really liked the name
Sign on the hotel across the street from ours.
We both found it amusing

We got an early start and made it down to Kanab UT by early evening.

637 mi, 10:06 hrs total, 8:59 hrs moving

Friday 9/7/12

365 more miles on the road and we pulled into the driveway a little before noon. We had a quick bite to eat and Ken jumped in the pickup and headed off to Home Depot for a new water heater.  Lenny came over later and the two of them removed the old water heater and put the new one in. I’m glad we didn’t have to go without hot water for very long. In the meantime, I emptied the essentials out of the car and started setting things back up. We’re home.

365 mi, 5:37 hrs total, 5:11 hrs moving

[Written long after the fact – 12/9/13]

No comments:

Post a Comment