Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Another Madonna

We got an early start to the day, stopped for a late breakfast at MickyD’s in Banning, and collected our last Western Madonna in Upland by mid-morning. This just leaves us the three easternmost ones left to collect – Bethesda MD, Beallsville PA, and Wheeling WV. It might be a while before we get to those.

May 29, 2013: The Madonna of the Trail in Upland CA. We've now seen all the Madonnas from Springfield OH west
Madonna of the Trail – Upland CA. Our 8th Madonna

2013_05_29 07 CA Upland Madonna of the Trail 2013_05_29 08 CA Upland Madonna of the Trail

Not too far from the Madonna statue was the Lazy Daze factory. When I was fulltiming, I started out in a 5th wheel but then sold it and bought a used 24’ Lazy Daze Twin/King.

2007_11_04 11 MS Alcorn Windsor ruins
My 1996 Lazy Daze at the Windsor Ruins in Alcorn MS

I’m still partial to the brand and am seriously considering the next size up for Ken & I. Just have to watch the marketplace for a good used one to pop up. Since the factory was so close to our route, I really wanted to stop by and look at the floor models. I was curious about the changes since my 1996 model. More importantly, I was eager to get Ken’s body in one and see what his reactions were. I’m afraid I was disappointed there – he was very non-committal. I’m afraid he can’t get past the cost/benefit ratio. And he’s correct there, it’s *much* cheaper to go the car/hotel route. And I’m having trouble getting past I could be on the road and still be in my own place. And we could comfortably stop for a day and do nothing. Two different viewpoints.

It was fun looking at the new models. But I really hated the kitchen revamp they did in the 24’ model. That told me right there that I would have to have a pre-2010 if we went for the small size. Ah well, I’m still wobbling on the fence – first small, then mid-size. We’ll see what crops up first.

Another fun thing was to look at one of their very first models – a 16’ 1966 class C. The description is a little hard to read because of the grungy plastic cover, but check it out.

May 29, 2013: One of the first Lazy Daze motorhomes
1966 16’ Lazy Daze

May 29, 2013: One of the first Lazy Daze motorhomes
Price and description

May 29, 2013: One of the first Lazy Daze motorhomes
Looking toward the rear

2013_05_29 12 CA Montclair 1966 Lazy Daze
The kitchen and overhead bunk

May 29, 2013: One of the first Lazy Daze motorhomes
Fridge and closet

From the Lazy Daze factory, it was on to the California Science Center. Our prime attraction here was the space shuttle Endeavor. This is the one they hauled through the streets of Los Angeles, even cutting down some trees to make room. They had a time lapse film of that trip. It was very interesting to watch even though I’m totally unfamiliar with the city. And the shuttle itself is very impressive. Too bad about the hordes of people. I suppose in a couple more years the newness will have worn off and it won’t be so busy.

May 29, 2013: The Endeavour Space Shuttle
Space shuttle Endeavor

May 29, 2013: How to open the can
For some reason I found the rescue instructions humorous. I mean, who’s going to read them?

May 29, 2013: The very individualized shapes of the heat tiles
I loved the pattern the heat tiles made, each one unique. What a jigsaw puzzle

May 29, 2013: The Endeavour
The mighty engines of the shuttle

May 29, 2013: This is one of the seismic isolators
One of four seismic isolators to protect the shuttle from earthquake tremors

And a picture just for fun. While waiting at a stop light after leaving the Science Center, I saw this sign above a very 50’s looking Chevy dealership. It really tickled me. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of the dealership before we took our left turn.

2013_05_29 38 CA Los Angeles Felix sign
Felix the Cat at a Chevy dealorship

After finally checking into our hotel, we rested up for a bit and then headed out to Hollywood Hills to take our picture with the Hollywood sign. We found another couple there who were willing to take our picture and then we took theirs. A good trade for both.

May 29, 2013: Mary Lou and Ken at Lake Hollywod Park
Mary Lou and Ken “under” the Hollywood sign

This was not the location Ken remembered taking pictures from before so we drove around Hollywood Hills trying to find that mythical spot. Never did. What narrow, twisty, turny roads. This is a high price area to live but all I could imagine was the disaster a panic evacuation from there would be.

There was still a bit of daylight left so we headed down into Hollywood. We paid a pretty price to get into a parking lot near Hollywood and Vine and got out to walk around. Yep, there’re stars in the sidewalk. Some names we recognized, many we didn’t. As you can probably tell, I was underwhelmed by the whole experience. I looked up Grauman’s Theater and saw that it was over a mile away. Too far to walk tonight and we didn’t want to pay another parking fee. So we found a place for supper and waited *forever* for some OK food.

It was a long day of many, many impressions and I collapsed when we got back to the hotel.

May 29, 2013: Bill Maher's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Ken likes his humor. Across from Pantages
One of Ken’s favorite liberal humorists

 

[written 12/23/13]

No comments:

Post a Comment