Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Clifftop 2012

My first Clifftop (Appalachian Stringband Music Festival) was in 1998. I had just started playing guitar in mid-1996 and “discovered” rhythm guitar when I started going to a beginner friendly jam session in Arlington MA later that year. When I was planning my vacation time early in ‘98, one of my fiddle buddies invited me to camp along with him and his friends at Clifftop that year. So I did. We all got along very well and I camped with them up on water tower hill until I started full-timing in 2004. After that it was by myself in the main field.

2012_08_02 1 Clifftop campsite

I had resumed camping with them last year and looked forward to seeing them again this year. Ulrika had arrived on Friday to stake out a section for us. I pitched my tent to one side in an effort to protect our claim from encroachment in that direction. As it turned out, I ended up way outside the central area since the big canopy was erected further back by the woods. I liked that set-up, however. I was close enough to easily walk over and be part of the group but far enough away to have some “private” space for alone time if I wanted it.

Last year, I had sworn that was going to be the last year I tent camped. So I had done some research to find out what campers I could tow behind my HHR and settled on the Aliner Alite. Essentially a hard-sided pop-up bed-on-wheels. I had even bought one last November. But then came the eventful Mexico trip and my subsequent partnering with Ken. The Alite was definitely *not* suitable for two people who both needed to get up in the middle of the night – sometimes several times. So I sold it without ever using it. Such is life. I still think I got the better deal. So I’m tent camping again this year.

I’ve forgotten how many people were there this year (I’m writing this much after the fact), but it seemed to me to be fewer than last year – there was plenty of space on water tower hill. But there was plenty of good music to be had and I had as much playing time as I wanted. I also spent plenty of time just wandering around and visiting.

2012_08_03 2 Bob Smakula's booth at Clifftop

This is the booth for Smakula’s Fretted Instruments. Friend Bob Smakula is the one in the fancy shirt bent over the banjo body. I liked to sit back behind and watch the people try out the instruments. I had also consigned my fiddle there and was seeing if anybody was interested. (It did sell to the woman I had watched picking it up, playing it, putting it down for another one, and then coming back to play it some more.)

All in all, a good time. As usual, I forget to take my camera around and take photos so these are the only ones I have.

I hope I can figure out how to avoid tent camping again next year, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment