Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sand Lake reunion

It was Ken’s turn for meet and greet, but it wasn’t total immersion. We had gone down to my younger brother’s for the 4th of July and, since my sister lived with me part time, he had also met her. So only my older brother remained of my siblings. And the nephews & niece & grand-nephews & nieces & various spouses. This would be done at the annual Knack family reunion.

We have our reunion on the 3rd weekend of August – coincident with the Buckley Old Engine Show. It was a coincidence the first time, but my brothers and their sons like to go to it so we fixed that weekend for our reunion. The show is only about 45 minutes from where we camp. I had gone once – it didn’t do a thing for me. But Ken was interested so we went on Friday I didn’t take very many photos but here’s two: one of a huge well pump wheel and the other a demonstration of an early threshing machine. Ken enjoyed the show. It really is amazing – so many engines and aficionados in the middle of nowhere in Michigan.

2012_08_17 2 MI Buckley Old Engine Show2012_08_17 3 MI Buckley Old Engine Show

2012_08_18 02 MI Dublin Alice & Joe starting fireThe reunion itself is a pretty laid back time (for the adults). We mostly sit around the campfire, read, and talk. I have 7 grand nieces & nephews between 2 and 6 years old and all were there. They have a marvelous time running around through the woods and going down to the small lake for a swim. I remember the fun I had as a kid camping with my cousins. Here my sister and her husband are building up the fire while a group of the older kids play behind them.

2012_08_18 19 MI Dublin our campsiteOur campsite was a little bit away from the main group. We didn’t stay there much. I had to borrow my older brother’s long unused two person tent (which was in fine order). We wanted one big enough to hold an air mattress and my little one just wouldn’t do. I had contemplated buying it from him for future Clifftops but no way could a single person put that one up and that’s a necessary criterion for me.

Things were OK for Thursday and Friday nights, but it poured Saturday night. No leaks, but everything on the table was soaked and we had to put the tent away wet. I gave it to my nephew to take home with him since older brother was continuing on to Sleeping Bear NP for another week’s worth of vacation.

We’ve got to figure out something for next year. I really would like to put tent camping behind me if at all feasible.

No comments:

Post a Comment