Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

My partner in Life

Ken and I have decided to be life partners. My travel companion is my companion in life and laughter. No surprise to some (but it was to us!) and really should have been written about when it happened earlier this year, but better late than never. In all things.

Back in my first blog (Dec 2011) I introduced my friend, Ken Metzgar. We’ve known each other since my first job out of college – nearly 38 years. While our lives took us on different paths and to different parts of the country, whenever we met we reconnected easily and shared many laughs. The frequency and duration of the meetings increased once I retired and started spending my winters in the Southwest. We had long, thoughtful, intimate conversations. The only subject that didn’t come up was escalating our relationship.

In retrospect, I think the ill-fated Mexico trip (not the ill-fated part) was an unspoken exploration of the possibilities. Silly way for a couple of theoretically rational 60+ year old people to behave, but…

I’ve been in Arizona since late March and was originally going to head back to Michigan just before Memorial Day weekend. But I bagged the return ticket to ride back with Ken when he drove to the Midwest in mid-June. Each of us has a number of obligations and want-to’s that will keep us in Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, and England all summer. We needed to get a calendar out and start marking it up to figure out who would be where when.

No comments:

Post a Comment